Monday, August 27, 2012

NBER paper of interest

My cost-benefit analysis professor at George Washington University, Stephanie Riegg Cellini, has a working paper out on the returns to a for-profit college education. They are positive and not significnatly different from public community colleges (although they also say there is some evidence the return is higher - I'll have to read closer what the distinction is). Regardless, it's a positive finding for for-profit schools.

Stephanie is a really sharp economist, and I strongly suggest reading anything of hers that you see. She does a lot with the economics of education - the labor returns side of it, but also school financing issues.

We also have more in common than the class at GW. She was a research assistant at the Urban Institute, and worke with many of the people in LHP that I worked with (and still work with), before she went to Berkeley. My mentor at Urban, Bob Lerman, told me when I was applying that I was one of the most prepared applicants he had seen come out of UI. "You probably have more under your belt than Stephanie", he said. I considered that very high praise - although the admissions gods apparently felt differently! Stephanie is still quite young too. She was just starting at GW when I had her, and that was only three or four years ago at this point. I imagine she's going to have a very successful career.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the post, you have a nice site.thanks for the information,I’ll be making the necessary changes thanks to your tips.

    filozofia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great information.I appreciate the sincere appreciation.Thank you.

    Appliance Repair Vancouver

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.